I love having homemade muesli on hand! It’s so versatile and can be enjoyed so many different ways. For those who don’t know exactly what it is, muesli is similar to a granola except that its uncooked and has less of a crunch. It can be used to make oatmeal or as a topping for yogurt.
One of the nice things about muesli is that it’s completely sugar free (other than the dried fruits, which you could leave out). It’s a healthy alternative to cereal since it’s full of essential nutrients from all of the nuts and seeds.
Another thing that I love about muesli is how customizable it is. You can substitute pretty much any nuts or seeds into the recipe and it will still be delicious. You can also add different dried fruit depending on what you have on hand and what you like the best. Raisins, cranberries, and berries all work in this recipe.
What’s the difference between granola and muesli?
Granola and muesli have many similarities but they are definitely not the same. Muesli is an uncooked cereal that combines grains, nuts, and fruits. It can be eaten hot or cold but it is generally too dry to eat on its own. Granola, on the other hand, is a baked cereal that typically combines grains with some form of sweetener and oil. Granola is ready to eat right out of the bag or it can be used as a topping.
How to enjoy muesli?
- Cereal. Top with your favourite milk to enjoy as a breakfast cereal.
- Oatmeal. Cook on the stove with either milk or water and enjoy as a hearty oatmeal.
- Yogurt. Use it to top your favourite yogurt.
- Chia seed pudding. Use as a topping for chia seed pudding.
- Smoothie bowls. Use it as a topping on your next smoothie bowl.
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almonds roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup pepita seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup gogi berries
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and stir to combine. Store in a large, airtight container in the fridge.
What’s your favourite homemade muesli recipe?
Simple Homemade Muesli
April 11, 2019