I know I’m late to the avocado toast party, but better late than never, right? I’m not going to lie it actually took me a little while to get hooked on the avocado toast trend. I wasn’t sold on the idea and stuck with my almond butter, banana, and chia seed toast instead. Playing it safe and still delicious.
A couple months ago, I ran out of almond butter and was stuck on what to put on my toast. So dramatic right? There was an avocado in the fridge so I thought I would give it a shot. Worst case scenario I don’t like it and never make it again. Surprise, surprise, it was amazing. I made it every single day that week.
Since then, I like to think that I have mastered the avocado toast thing, so here are some tips:
- Pick perfectly ripe avocados
- Make sure the bread is toasted enough to give it a good crunch (sourdough bread is always my go-to)
- Mash the avocados separately in a bowl before putting it on the bread
The toppings that you could use really are endless. There are so many delicious combinations but I keep coming back to the same four toppings: salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and nutritional yeast.
Just trust me on the nutritional yeast. I may be new to the avocado toast world, but I know what I’m talking about. Nutritional yeast gives it the perfect cheesy, nutty, and salty flavour. It’s also full of B12 and is a complete protein, containing all nine amino acids that we have to get from food.
- 4 pieces sourdough bread
- 1 avocado
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Toast the sourdough bread.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado with a fork and add salt and pepper.
- Divide the mashed avocado between slices of toast.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and nutritional yeast, to taste. Enjoy!
What’s your favourite avocado toast recipe?
Simple and Delicious Avocado Toast
May 28, 2019